If you're a Bieber fan like me, you'll know November 13th is the date that the Purpose album released three years ago. Well, did you know it's also my birthday? I turn 19 today (which I'm finding very daunting, 19 is not a childhood age anymore) so I thought it would be nice to share with you 19 things that I've learned in my 19 years...should I say 19 again?
1. It can take you a while to find who you are and be true to yourself (a huge cliché, I know). I only realised last week that the place I became most myself was at my workplace back home, and I've stuck by that person through moving to uni in Cardiff (I may have held back on the intensity a bit to begin with). It's pretty nice to be able to say that, on the whole, I like the person that I am.
2. Finding time for yourself is super important. This can be self-care/mental health days or simply giving yourself a half hour or so to read a book - I've set myself the challenge of reading at least a chapter of my current book each day, so that I can switch off.
3. You don't need loads of friends, or to be the most popular. I love having a handful of close friends, and the phrase "quality over quantity" is definitely true when it comes to my friendships.
4. Animals will change your life. I cannot express enough how happy and soothed a cuddle with my dogs or cats makes me feel.
5. Sometimes, things don't go to plan. Your world can be thrown upside down, but you will feel better once you're out the end of it.
6. Exploring new places is one of the best things to do with your spare time. I urge you to travel and explore (even if it's just locally) as much as you can.
7. You should always try to be nice to people, you never know when you may be making someone's day!
8. I hate to sound like a teacher, but getting things done early will reduce stress massively.
9. It's important to understand when and where you're at your most productive.
10. You are always learning things about yourself, make sure you're open to this!
16. You're allowed to crave a Chinese every day of the week.
17. Effort is a two-way thing; it's important to recognise who is and isn't worth your time.
18. Not wearing makeup everyday can lead to a shit load of compliments when you go all out - but also, you should wear as much or as little as you like.
19. Simple home comforts are definitely under-appreciated before you move into halls, I've now learned that nothing can replace a nice hot bath (and that next year's student house must have one).